(Picture from Google)
Patriotic Poke Cake
1 (18.25 ounce)
package white cake mix
1 (3.5 ounce) package
instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 (3 ounce) package red
or blue gelatin mix
1 cup boiling water
1 cup ice water
1 (12 ounce)
container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour one 9×13 inch baking pan.
2. Combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, 1 cup water and the
vegetable oil and blend well. Beat at the medium speed of an electric mixer for
4 minutes. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 to 50 minutes or until the cake springs
back when lightly touched. Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water,
then add the cold water.
5. Poke holes in the warm cake with a fork at 1/2 inch
intervals. Pour gelatin over cake. Chill cake for 3 to 4 hours then frost with
whipped topping. Keep cake refrigerated.
Use fresh blueberries and strawberries to create a flag
design on top. Kids LOVE putting the finishing touches on this light cake.