My love affair with meringue has been passionate, if nothing but a miserable exchange of my effort, and its refusal to work. Today, oh happy day, success. I made Lemon meringue Cupcakes for a party and they worked! Since it did call for Meringue Powder there are purists who say I cheated (yes, you…) but I say the picture speaks for itself. If you like lemon, this recipes is fabulous!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 1/3 cups cold water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- MERINGUE TOPPING
- 12 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- 1 Preheat oven to 350*. Line muffin tins with
- 2 Beat cake mix, water, sour cream, egg whites,
egg and oil for 30 seconds on medium speed. Then beat on high speed for 2
- 3 Fold in lemon zest.
- 4 Evenly divide batter in pan. Bake @ 350* for
25-30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into centers.
- 5 Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans to cool
- 6 MERINGUE TOPPING –
- 7 Preheat oven to 425*.
- 8 In a bowl, combine 6 tablespoons sugar,
meringue powder and water.
- 9 Beat at medium-high speed for 5-7 minutes or
until very soft peaks form.
- 10 Slowly beat in remaining sugar until stiff
(this should take 5 minutes more).
- 11 Spread cupcakes with meringue & place on
a jellyroll pan.
- 12 Bake @ 425* for 5 minutes, until lightly